Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nutrition 101





Nutrition is defined as the process of nourishing or being nourished, especially the process by which a living organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and for replacement of tissues. Where as a nutritionist is defined as a person who is trained or expert in the science of nutrition. I would like to consider myself a trainee, for I feel my job in life is to reach out to others and teach them about health. As a college student I am the outcast who knows all the nutrition facts on every label while I sit there and enjoy my apple when everyone else is guzzling down pizza, ice-cream and chips. Then they turn to me and ask hey tal, “How bad is pepperoni for you?” Or my roommate asked me yesterday, “does water make you loose wait?” It is for this very reason I believe I can help many people learn the right way to treat his or her own body and in fact better their mind and soul. It is easy to start paying attention to your own body, just listen to what it wants, and pay closer attention to what you are putting inside it.





For example my idea of “running” to the super market to pickup a few things turns out to be an hour outgoing, for I read the backs of every label, then the ingredients, then I compare it to the other foods I am looking into. This simple process becomes a confusing completive battle between the foods. Should you go for the one gram of sugar over the one gram of fat? AHHH all these diets out there tell you something different, ultimately leaving you puzzled! Don’t worry the answer is simple: treat your body with dignity. “Health is not associated with denial of anything.” –D.W. Winnicott. Everything in moderation is the key to basic health and nutrition. Hah and life basically! Simple right? Easier said than done.









































































No comments: