Thursday, February 7, 2008



Is Weight Watchers another diet or truly a life style? I pose this question as a former dieter looking for a good and easy system. You see weight watchers has it all planned out for you. On the flip side, it can still be restricting! Once you start the “diet”, if I may dare to use that word, you receive a certain amount of points you are not allowed to exceed. “Uh ohh I went over my points today and I ran out of extra points for the week!” Does this lead to a feeling of disappointment any other diet would give? Or I ate more than 3 pretzels rods (which serving size is 2 points.) Hmm? For those strict dieters out there, this could take a little getting used to, unless they are trying to get rid of the diet mentality completely.

For that matter I would suggest taking a little from Weight Watchers and adding a little of your own twist. For example, eat everything in moderation, not excluding any foods. However, when eating, take a break half way and access your hunger and see if you want to finish the rest of your food, as they mention in the book. Another aspect of Weight Watchers I do not agree with is the consumption of pure sugar. Since sugar, as we all know, turns into fat eventually, I feel it is a better idea to eat natural sugars. Natural sugars are found in cane juice, and corn syrup. In addition I prefer to stick to whole wheat, rye ect., as Weight Watcher does not. Regular carbs, tend to make my body feel bloated.
The meetings are another great aspect of Weight Watchers, for it is a support group for you and your fellow weight conscious friends. You guys are in it together. Each week you discuss how you handled your eating healthy and share tips with one another. At each meeting you also get weighed to see if you have lost, gained or maintained. In retrospect the “weigh ins” could be a good thing unless you have anxiety or are embarrassed. They also tend to suck money out of you with all the Weight Watcher products at these meeting. Like I said, you can learn a lot about portion sizes and analyzing your hunger from their program. I would say it’s worth a try.

No comments: