Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good BYE white flour!



There are other flours out there. Sometimes I go to the health food store just to look around. Funny right? Every time I go there I find new and exciting products for healthy eaters like you and me. Last time I was there I found the best baking flour of all-SOY FLOUR. With soy flour you can only replace it with 1/3 of the recipe. Before I begin I want to explain the idea of net carbs it is the total carbohydrates minus dietary fiber. So here we go. Soy flour= Net Carbs: 5 ( 8 carbs -3 dietary fiber = 5 grams ), Protein: 10, Total: 6 Sat: 1. This particular flour has a higher total fat, which is good for, don’t be scared. It is also high in protein, another good factor. I also recently purchased barley flour which has, Net Carbs: 15 (19 carbs – 4 dietary fiber = 15 ) Total: 1 Sat 0, Protein 3. This flour is reasonably low in carbs, lower in fat and lower in protein, though you can substitute it cup for cup. Compare this to regular wheat flour at Net Carb 19 ( 22- 3= 19 Dietary fiber) Total: 1 Sat:0 Protien:3. Wheat is the highest in carbs of these basic flours, though similar to barley in other aspects.


Yet taste does come into play. Barley flour has a distinct taste, more of a doughy taste while whole wheat is more on the gritty side. I have made brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and even my own pasta with these flours. You simply substitute the flour for white flour, except for the soy.

No comments: