Tuesday, February 12, 2008


I for one am a yogini, a female practitioner of yoga. With many years of practice, I have come across numerous Buddhist beliefs I am fond of; Ironically, I am a devout Catholic. I was surfing the internet a few days ago and saw a web site on the Buddhist’ view on eating. I have listed their values below:
1. I consider the work required in producing this food. I am grateful for its source.

2. I evaluate my virtues and examine any spiritual defects. The ratio between my virtues and defects determine how much I shall deserve this offering.

3. I guard my heart cautiously from faults, particularly greed.

4. To strengthen and cure my weakening body, I consume this food as medicine.

5. As I continue on the spiritual path I accept this offering with appreciation and gratitude.

I truly feel America does not consider more than one of these beliefs when eating. I would say the most popular belief would be number four, as for our culture is selfish and thinks of only him of herself. However, if we stop and consider these points we may cherish our food, and enjoy it to the fullest. Not to mention, by slowing down being grateful and actually reflecting on where the food came from, we may eat less. Number five, can also help with the guilt healthy eaters experience if they eat something “not so healthy”, as they accept the offering and continue on with life. Or on the flip side, one may take it as not wasting food, even if it is not tantalizing to your taste buds. Either way, when we stop and consider the Buddhist pointers on eating we prevent ourselves from shoveling food in our mouths, without purpose.

No comments: